If you have ever received a healthy meal plan, most people will tell you to eat a half of a grapefruit with breakfast or with meals, but why? I do tons of research myself and many fitness competitors meal plans consist of grapefruit, but why? I am answering the why for you today with tons of reliable sources to back me up, I hope you are ready.
For Example: JulieAnn Kulla Fitness Model from Rosemount, MN was asked,
Fitness Question #7 – I’m trying to create a healthy shopping list to stick with. What are some of the main foods I should include to maintain a lean and muscular physique?
Vegetables: Salad, cucumbers, red/green peppers, celery, broccoli, green beans.
Fruits: Apples, berries, bananas, and grapefruit.
Meats: Lean ground turkey, lean hamburger, lots of chicken breasts, and soy burgers.
Carbohydrates: Old fashioned oatmeal, cream of wheat, brown rice and rice cakes.
Good Fats: Almonds, walnuts, flax oil and natural peanut butter
Dairy: Fat free milk or soy milk, Fat free cheese & cottage cheese.
The Division of Endocrinology, Department of Nutrition and Metabolic Research, Scripps Clinic, La Jolla, California did research to study the effects of grapefruit and grapefruit products on body weight and metabolic syndrome, 91 obese patients were randomized to either placebo capsules and 7 ounces (207 mL) of apple juice, grapefruit capsules with 7 ounces (207 mL) of apple juice, 8 ounces (237 mL) of grapefruit juice with placebo capsule, or half of a fresh grapefruit with a placebo capsule three times a day before each meal. Metabolic syndrome parameters were measured at the beginning and end of 12 weeks. Here is what they found:
- After 12 weeks, the fresh grapefruit group had lost 1.6 kg, the grapefruit juice group had lost 1.5 kg, the grapefruit capsule group had lost 1.1 kg, and the placebo group had lost 0.3 kg.
- The fresh grapefruit group lost significantly more weight than the placebo group (P < .05).
- A secondary analysis of those with the metabolic syndrome in the four treatment groups demonstrated a significantly greater weight loss in the grapefruit, grapefruit capsule, and grapefruit juice groups compared with placebo (P < .02).
- There was also a significant reduction in 2-hour post-glucose insulin level in the grapefruit group compared with placebo.
- Half of a fresh grapefruit eaten before meals was associated with significant weight loss. In metabolic syndrome patients the effect was also seen with grapefruit products. Insulin resistance was improved with fresh grapefruit. Although the mechanism of this weight loss is unknown it would appear reasonable to include grapefruit in a weight reduction diet.
Benefits of Grapefruit:
- Grapefruit is high in enzymes that help burn fat, they have a high water content and has less sodium. All these 3 characteristics makes grapefruit a perfect food for increasing your body’s metabolism.
- Grapefruit contains salicylic acid that helps break down the body’s inorganic calcium, which can build up in the cartilage of joints and can lead to arthritis. If you have arthritis, many researchers suggest drinking grapefruit juice with apple cider vinegar. You will notice a reduction in arthritis symptoms .
- Lycopene is a carotenoid pigment that is responsible for the red pigment in grapefruit. It is a powerful agent against tumors and cancers as it acts as a scavenger of cancer-causing free radicals. Lycopene works best with vitamins A and C, which are also found in grapefruit.An antioxidant compound, called naringenin, is also found in grapefruit. Naringenin helps repair damaged DNA in prostate cancer cells. DNA repair contributes to cancer prevention as it impedes the reproduction of cancer cells.
- The antioxidants found in grapefruit are effective in reducing cholesterol levels. However, if you are on prescription drugs, do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice. Grapefruit has a negative reaction against many prescription drugs such as those used in treating depression, allergies, high blood pressure, seizures, impotence, heart palpitations and even HIV. Inform your physician if you want to use grapefruit as a regular form of treatment.
Ideas for eating grapefruit
- eat one whenever you are craving something sweet add Stevia for extra sweetness if needed.
- eat a half of a grapefruit with breakfast, with one slice of Ezekiel Bread, a tsp of almond butter, and 5 egg whites.
ADD GRAPEFRUIT TO YOUR CLEAN DIET TODAY, THE BENEFITS EXTREMELY OUT WAY THE TASTE!!!!
Follow me on twitter for fitness and nutrition tips @tatianaeugenia
Subscribe to my you tube channel many more videos to come: http://www.youtube.com/user/ItisTatianaScott?feature=mhee
Join me and Tati’s Destroyers on meetup.com Houston, TX: http://www.meetup.com/SkatingSprintsandAerobics/
I’m Pinning, Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/itstatianascott/
Instagram: Tatiana Scott
It’s Your Body Never Give Up