The third vegetable on our list for this week is Broccoli. You will be surprised to know that Broccoli has one of the highest protein sources in a green vegetable which means that you are not only getting all sorts of vitamins, but it can also assist in building the lean muscle we should all want to have. I love broccoli and today we are going to explore all of it’s health benefits from its ability to strengthen your immune system to it’s ability to help you control your weight.
What is Broccoli?
Broccoli comes from the cabbage family the word actually means the flowering top of cabbage.
Benefits of Eating Broccoli
- Broccoli contains high amounts of potassium(see you don’t have to eat banana’s to get your potassium). Potassium helps prevent cramps when weight training, it also helps maintain a healthy nervous system(brain). Potassium also assist in promoting muscle growth(love it).
- Broccoli also contains calcium and magnesium which help regulate your blood pressure.
- Osteoporosis can be detrimental to our bones, so it’s a good thing that broccoli contains calcium and Vitamin K for healthy bones.
- Broccoli contains high doses of beta-carotene as well as zinc and selenium which strengthens your immune system.
Broccoli and Weight Management
Broccoli is high in dietary fiber, which of course aids in digestion, prevents constipation, maintains low blood sugar, and curbs overeating.
I love this fact about broccoli: it has more protein than a cup of rice or corn with less than half the calories.
Nutrition Facts of steamed Broccoli
|Serving Size 1 cup chopped|
|Amount Per Serving|
Calories from Fat 3
|% Daily Values*|
|Total Fat 0.34g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.035g||0%|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0.035g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.01g|
|Total Carbohydrate 6.04g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.4g||10%|
Meal and Snack Ideas for Broccoli
- Turkey, Brown Rice, and Broccoli casserole
- Add Broccoli as a side to any fish, turkey, or chicken meal
- Eat Broccoli Raw as a snack with lemon and Mrs. Dash Mediterranean blend sprinkled on top.
Add Broccoli to your clean diet today I know your body will love you for it.
Remember its your body Never Give Up
Follow me on twitter for fitness and nutrition tips @tatianaeugenia
Subscribe to my you tube channel many more videos to come: http://www.youtube.com/user/ItisTatianaScott?feature=mhee
Join me and Tati’s Destroyers on meetup.com Houston, TX: http://www.meetup.com/SkatingSprintsandAerobics/
I’m Pinning, Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/itstatianascott/
Instagram: Tatiana Scott
It’s Your Body Never Give Up