Nutrition is the key to metabolism. The pathways of metabolism rely upon nutrients that they breakdown in order to produce energy( Dr. Anaya Mandal). Your metabolism and resting metabolic rate is key to your body burning sugar(glucose) and fat for energy. When your metabolism slows down the rate at which your body burns sugar and fat as energy slows down.
What I tell my clients:
Your body is extremely smart and it is made to be able to survive as long as possible without food and water. When you do not feed your body for long periods of time it signals your body to begin to store nutrients because it does not know when it will eat again. Those nutrients can include fat and if you are trying to lose fat than you definitely do not want your body storing it.
9 Ways to Speed up your metabolism:
- Building lean muscles, lifting weights, body weight training, kettle bell workouts etc. The more muscle you have the higher your resting metabolic rate is and the more fat you burn. This is why it is so important to build lean muscle.
- Eating every 2 to 3 hours, your body begins to realize it’s about to eat again and will automatically begin to burn off what it ate prior.
- Jump starting it within 1 hour of waking up with food or with cardio. If you choose cardio to start then you must eat within 30 minutes of finishing it.
- Remove trans fat from your diet, also know as partially hydrogenated oils in the ingredients list. They are known to bind to your liver cells slowing down your metabolism.
- Push yourself, increase the intensity with every workout to get your metabolism moving
- Studies also show that omega 3’s found in flax seeds, chia seeds, and salmon can help regulate your metabolism
- The antioxidant rich green tea: researchers show that the active ingredient catechin can help boost your metabolism.
- Making sure your eating enough calories for your lifestyle. Starving yourself can actually do a lot of damage to your metabolism making weight loss difficult or non existence.
- Perform cardiovascular activities, the after burn is amazing, researchers call it post exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC), your body can take hours to recover from an intense workout which means your metabolism is going faster for a longer period of time.
Whatever you do, don’t give up on your metabolism. You will turn into a fat burning machine if you just stay consistent.
Follow me on all my social media sites @fitwithcurves because I post daily