You have probably heard someone say the word, “core” at least once in your life. Most people think that core means your stomach; however your core is much more than your stomach. Many of the muscles are hidden beneath the exterior “stomach” that most people train. The deeper muscles involving your core include the transverse abdominis, multifidus, diaphragm, the pelvic floor and many other deeper muscles. Your core is your powerhouse or stabilizer which gives you the ability to control the force your produce. It’s so important to achieve core stability to protect the spine and the surrounding muscles. Research has shown the athletes with higher core stability have a lower risk of injury.
The following are 7 exercises to help your build your core strength:
- Plank- try holding a plan for 90 seconds, with proper form and posture at least 5 days a week.
- Side Plank- try holding a side plank for 60 seconds with proper form and posture on each side at least 5 days a week.
- Deadlifts- Are a great functional movement that help build your core, Try performing 4 sets of 8-15 reps at least once a week.
- Pushups- Believe it or not although most people perform pushups for their chest, push ups are also a great way to build your core strength. Performing pushups in a straight line, with proper form and structure will help build your core. Try performing as many as you can at least 2-3 times a week. You want to make sure your movement is slow and controlled.
- Balance on one leg- performing standing strength training exercises while balancing on one leg is a great way to work on stability and core strength.
- Stability Ball- They don’t call it that for nothing. There are tons of exercises that you can perform on the stability ball to help build your core strength.
- TRX or Suspension Training- I love this invention and there are tons of exercises that you can performing using this suspension tool to build your core.
Please remember that fitness is much more than what you look like on the outside. Having a strong core will not only help you with almost every single exercise that you perform, but it will also help you perform daily tasks better. Proper form is key to helping you achieve the core that your body needs. Try these tips to help strengthen your core.
Make sure your following me instagram, twitter, facebook and snapchat @fitwithcurves.