The macronutrient fat, is needed by your body for several bodily functions; however not all fat is healthy fat. Hopefully, you are aware that your body needs omega 3’s, 6’s, and9’s for heart health and so much more; however they are still fat, so portions should be controlled. According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, adults should get 20% to35% of their calories from fat. Please also be mindful of eating tons of white bread and white rice as well, which can turn into fat when not used as energy by the body contributing to heart disease.
5 Ways to Control Your Healthy Fat Portions
- Measure your healthy fat with scale, measuring spoon orcup.
- Use online tools such as myfitnesspal and mynetdiary to track your daily fat intake and recommended amount,
- Separate healthy fats into ziploc bags or containers to prevent over eating.
- Never pour fatty dressings on salads, place dressing in a separate container instead, dip fork in container of dressing and then into salad.
- Use healthy low sodium seasonings instead of fats to season your food.
Healthy Fat Options
- Almonds and almond butter
- Coconut oil
- Olive oil
- Peanut butter and peanuts
- Flax seeds
- Chia seeds
- Cashews and cashew butter
The amount of fat that each individual should intake can vary based on your weight, height, activity level and how your body is functioning. It is important to find out what is appropriate for your body.
Follow me @fitwithcurves on all my social media sites because I post daily.