Because I focus on not only cardiovascular exercises with my clients, but also building lean muscle several of my clients tend to get knots. What are muscle knots and why do I stretch and massage each of my clients after our workouts?
What does it Mean to have Knots in Your Muscles?
Muscle knots are spots/points within a muscle where contracted fibers are unable to release.
A frequent problem for physically active people, muscle knots also called by professionals Myofascial Trigger Points, or MTPS—feel like a small knot to your fingertips. These knots can range from the size of a pinhead in smaller muscles to the size of your thumb in larger muscles.
Muscle knots can cause pain in two different ways: (1) latent trigger points, which are knots that only hurt when you put pressure on them, and (2) active trigger points, which are knots that actively refer pain along your neural pathways, causing it in non-localized areas.
What Causes Muscle Knots?
Three Most Common Causes of Muscle Knots:
1) Injuries and Accidents – trauma, such as serous falls & non sports and sports related injuries that causes strain on your muscles and joints.
2) Poor Posture for Long Periods of Time– Sitting too long with poor posture, sitting with no support, & lifting improperly
3) Overstimulation – Strenuous exercise and sport activities, especially lifting weights
5 Important Reasons to Get Knots Out of Your Muscles
- Causes your muscles fibers to loosen up and prevent Injuries
- Increases blood flow back to that area
- Elongates your muscles for more effective stretching
- Decreases Pain
- Helps improve posture
How to Remove Knots in Your Muscles:
- Use a massage ball
- Use a foam roller
- Get a deep tissue/trigger point massage
Fit With Curves Top Foam Rollers:
The GRID Mini – $24.99
At 5″ tall by 5.5″ diameter, The GRID™ Mini is the most travel friendly foam roller on the market. Featuring Matrix Technology and Distrodensity™ Zones, it provides a unique targeted massage to increase circulation and help maintain flexibility. This compact tool is perfect for traveling. It attaches to any gym bag, backpack, or can easily fit inside your suitcase.
The Following are Available on Amazon
Keep your muscles healthy by ensuring they are knot free. Consistently use your foam roller or get massages to prevent injuries and pain.
Follow me on all my social media sites @fitwithcurves because I post daily