Strengthening your core will not only help you avoid injuries, but it can also assist and getting you the strong lean abs that many desire. Considering that about 80 percent of the population suffers from back pain or discomfort, and 60 percent of work-related injuries involve the core, it is a great idea to start to paying more attention to your core.
Here are 5 exercises that I use with my clients to help strengthen their core and stability.
- Plank, Side Plank, One legged plank and several other plank variations will help strengthen core and work on stabilizer muscles. Try holding for 1 minute, 2 minutes, and 3 minutes. Pushing yourself a little more each time.
- BOSU ball workouts, performing workouts on a bosu ball help to work stabilizer muscles that also help target and engage your core. Try performing workouts on the blue side of the ball to help with balance and core strength.
3. Suspension ropes or TRX, Every single exercise performed on suspension ropes with proper form help to engage your core and strengthen it. Try start with the basic suspension rope plank.
4. Leg lifts or leg raises on the captains chair, I love this exercise and when done with the proper form you can really work your hip flexors and lower abdominal muscles to strengthen your core.
5. One legged exercises, any time you are balancing on one leg you are also using your core to assist you to stay on that one leg. Performing exercises on one leg will help strengthen and build your core/stability. Try single leg deadlifts, single leg squats, single leg skaters and so much more.
Your core will always be your powerhouse and the foundation to helping you perform thousands of exercises. Consistently work on your core strength to not only prevent injury, but to keep your abs looking the best.
Personal Trainer and Nutritionist
@fitwithcurves on all my social media sites.